Johnny Egan enters Offaly Football Hall of Fame
Doon’s Johnny Egan will enter the Offaly GAA Football Hall of Fame at this year’s Awards Night Sponsored by Bridge House Hotel on January 16th 2016. Egan who made 99 league and Championship appearances for Offaly between 1957 and 1970. His made his league debut against Louth in 1957 wearing the number 5 jersey and his Championship debut the following year against Laois at full back. However, it was the number 4 jersey that he made his own as he went on to form a formidable full back line with Paddy McCormack and Greg Hughes for many years.
In fact 87 of Egan’s appearances for Offaly were in the No: 4 jersey. He played in two All-Ireland Finals (1961 & 69) and played his last Championship game for Offaly in that famous Leinster Football Final of 1970 when, in the first 80 minute decider, Offaly were defeated 2-22 to 5-12 by Meath. Egan’s last game for Offaly was in November 1970 when he lined out in his customary corner back position against Longford in the National Football League.
- The Full list of Football Recipients are:
- Hall of Fame: Johnny Egan (Doon)
- Senior: Sean Doyle (Edenderry)
- Senior B: Colm Quinn (Ballycumber)
- Intermediate: PJ Daly (Cappincur)
- Junior: Lee Dempsey (Clonbullogue)
- U21: Eoin Carroll (Cappincur & St Vincent’s)
- Minor: Kyle Higgins (Ferbane & Ferbane/Belmont)
- Referee: David Walsh (Gracefield)
- Ladies Football: Roisin Egan (Naomh Ciarán)